The National Park Service turns 100 in 2016, and to celebrate their centennial they are offering fee-free access on 16 days at 409 locations. This includes Shenandoah National Park for the following dates:
- January 18: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- April 16 through 24: National Park Week
- August 25 through 28: National Park Service Birthday
- September 24: National Public Lands Day
- November 11: Veterans Day
As you plan your trip to Charlottesville you might consider visiting SNP. The southern entrance at Rockfish Gap is a 25 minute drive along beautiful country roads. To prepare for your visit we suggest watching, "The National Parks – America's Best Idea", a film by Ken Burns, or if you are stying in our home you can read Ken Burn's book by the same name. The photography is fantastic and gives a glimpse of what you'll see when visiting the park.